Wolfys Domain Robot Rage Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Unofficial robot rage forum created by the people at wolfysdomain.

HomeLatest imagesSearchRegisterLog in

Robot Rage... REARMED?

Go down 
+2
Carl
TheHat
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
TheHat
Novice
Novice
TheHat

Robot Rage... REARMED?  Empty
PostSubject: Robot Rage... REARMED?    Robot Rage... REARMED?  EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 6:36 pm

Well, as you know, robot rage has not been "rearmed" for a while. I know that it is posible to hack robot rage supers, so why not make new weapons? Change things up a bit! 2v2! Better paintshop!

Is this is at all posible, I will do whatever I can to help. Im not actually that bad at 3D models... Smile
If this is posible, maybe we could get jork to help. Just a thought... for the greater good.
Back to top Go down
Carl
Beginner
Beginner
Carl

PostSubject: Re: Robot Rage... REARMED?    Robot Rage... REARMED?  EmptySun Dec 12, 2010 8:46 pm

I know a lot about Robot Rage's programming. You can't make new weapons into the game. It's just impossible. The only way to do that would be to decompile the DCR scripts, which are encrypted anyway and the raw lingo code is gone forever.

The only alternatives would be either (i) somehow get Miniclip or Raketspel to give us the code or (ii) start a whole new game.
Back to top Go down
TRC
Admin
Admin
TRC

PostSubject: Re: Robot Rage... REARMED?    Robot Rage... REARMED?  EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 5:36 am

You'd almost definately need access to the server too.
Back to top Go down
https://wolfysdomain.forumotion.org
Noobface
Noobface

PostSubject: Re: Robot Rage... REARMED?    Robot Rage... REARMED?  EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 3:31 pm

Hopefully!
Back to top Go down
http://wolfysdomainchat.webs.com/
TheHat
Novice
Novice
TheHat

PostSubject: Re: Robot Rage... REARMED?    Robot Rage... REARMED?  EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 4:39 pm

start a new game? anyone know 3D stuff? i can do 3D models... dats it.
Back to top Go down
Carl
Beginner
Beginner
Carl

PostSubject: Re: Robot Rage... REARMED?    Robot Rage... REARMED?  EmptyMon Dec 13, 2010 8:23 pm

TRC wrote:
You'd almost definately need access to the server too.
You can set up your own server using the same .asp database source Robot Rage uses, tweaking the code around a bit of course. However, it would require access to the source code itself, yes.

TheHat wrote:
start a new game? anyone know 3D stuff? i can do 3D models... dats it.
I can do 3D modelling, but a slightly different style is needed for shockwave and director.
Back to top Go down
TheHat
Novice
Novice
TheHat

PostSubject: Re: Robot Rage... REARMED?    Robot Rage... REARMED?  EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 1:25 pm

I really want to do this. I will start now if anyone else is dedicated.
Back to top Go down
Noobface
Noobface

PostSubject: Re: Robot Rage... REARMED?    Robot Rage... REARMED?  EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 4:02 pm

IDK how I could help, but I want to help...
Back to top Go down
Carl
Beginner
Beginner
Carl

PostSubject: Re: Robot Rage... REARMED?    Robot Rage... REARMED?  EmptyTue Dec 14, 2010 8:28 pm

It requires a lot of time and resources (often more than people think) to make a shockwave game like Robot Rage. Trust me, I've had experience with this. As well as making the huge amount of code, you have to deal with any glitches that might arise. Painful process, great rewards. But it needs a lot of patience, even after you have finished.

A similar game could be possible, though that depends on how you perceive it. I'll see if I can look more into this. Smile
Back to top Go down
TRC
Admin
Admin
TRC

PostSubject: Re: Robot Rage... REARMED?    Robot Rage... REARMED?  EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 3:26 pm

How do you mean perceive it? Perceive similar?
Back to top Go down
https://wolfysdomain.forumotion.org
Carl
Beginner
Beginner
Carl

PostSubject: Re: Robot Rage... REARMED?    Robot Rage... REARMED?  EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 5:51 pm

TRC wrote:
How do you mean perceive it? Perceive similar?

How "similar" you think the game is to Robot Rage. For instance, you could make a 2D version that for some people would have the "look and feel" of Robot Rage, while for others it wouldn't. It's a matter of both general gameplay and personal opinion.
Back to top Go down
TheHat
Novice
Novice
TheHat

PostSubject: Re: Robot Rage... REARMED?    Robot Rage... REARMED?  EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 5:52 pm

I say as long as it has the crappy vanishing point and the amazing community, its robot rage Smile
Back to top Go down
Root
Noobface
Noobface

PostSubject: Re: Robot Rage... REARMED?    Robot Rage... REARMED?  EmptyWed Dec 15, 2010 8:57 pm

I can program 2D semi-well if I'm motivated. Not very good at graphics but I could make a couple things. If some of you all actually want to try to make a 2D RR I'm totally in.
Back to top Go down
Noobface
Noobface

PostSubject: Re: Robot Rage... REARMED?    Robot Rage... REARMED?  EmptyThu Dec 16, 2010 1:35 pm

I can find cool pictures. If you make it, you should make there be ways to get PJs on bots by copy and pasting and hacking (only for us).
Back to top Go down
TheHat
Novice
Novice
TheHat

PostSubject: Re: Robot Rage... REARMED?    Robot Rage... REARMED?  EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 3:40 pm

WERE NOT USING ANY RENDERS!!!! WTF!!!
100% custom! COME ON!
Back to top Go down
Noobface
Noobface

PostSubject: Re: Robot Rage... REARMED?    Robot Rage... REARMED?  EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 4:28 pm

It was just a suggestion, mister. pale
Back to top Go down
TheHat
Novice
Novice
TheHat

PostSubject: Re: Robot Rage... REARMED?    Robot Rage... REARMED?  EmptyFri Dec 17, 2010 4:28 pm

A BAD ONE GEEZ

see you in chat Smile
Back to top Go down
Root
Noobface
Noobface

PostSubject: Re: Robot Rage... REARMED?    Robot Rage... REARMED?  EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 9:57 pm

Root wrote:
I can program 2D semi-well if I'm motivated. Not very good at graphics but I could make a couple things. If some of you all actually want to try to make a 2D RR I'm totally in.

So, is anyone in? If I programmed some stuff, would someone make graphics for the game? IGIT? Carl? Someone?
If I programmed a game with squares and rectangles for bots, would someone make graphics for it?
Back to top Go down
Carl
Beginner
Beginner
Carl

PostSubject: Re: Robot Rage... REARMED?    Robot Rage... REARMED?  EmptyMon Dec 27, 2010 11:23 pm

Root wrote:
Root wrote:

So, is anyone in? If I programmed some stuff, would someone make graphics for the game? IGIT? Carl? Someone?
If I programmed a game with squares and rectangles for bots, would someone make graphics for it?

I have already programmed a battle game that might look somewhat similar to Robot Rage with the graphics. Have to add some functionality such as windows, inventories, etc. The real thing that needs to be developed is the multiplayer system, how players will connect and battle with each other. I am planning on using a P2P connection method (like Robot Rage) instead of a centralized server to handle the battle action, but I do need a server to host the accounts themselves (perhaps a MySQL database), and maybe a lobby so players can actually see each other before challenging. This seems to be the most complicated part.
Back to top Go down
TheHat
Novice
Novice
TheHat

PostSubject: Re: Robot Rage... REARMED?    Robot Rage... REARMED?  EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 10:59 am

Nonoba is good. Its kinda gay tho... and what was it... uh,....
well it was used for colony... made by.. jigmin. http://jiggmin.com/
I cant seem to find it... but nonoba looks fine.
Back to top Go down
Noobface
Noobface

PostSubject: Re: Robot Rage... REARMED?    Robot Rage... REARMED?  EmptyTue Dec 28, 2010 5:30 pm

Carl wrote:
Root wrote:
Root wrote:

I have already programmed a battle game that might look somewhat similar to Robot Rage with the graphics. Have to add some functionality such as windows, inventories, etc. The real thing that needs to be developed is the multiplayer system, how players will connect and battle with each other. I am planning on using a P2P connection method (like Robot Rage) instead of a centralized server to handle the battle action, but I do need a server to host the accounts themselves (perhaps a MySQL database), and maybe a lobby so players can actually see each other before challenging. This seems to be the most complicated part.

Do not make one like RobotRage's fences and non-fences. Everyone can battle everyone, right? If it is that way, you might as well not even try.
Back to top Go down
Carl
Beginner
Beginner
Carl

PostSubject: Re: Robot Rage... REARMED?    Robot Rage... REARMED?  EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 1:49 pm

TheHattedD wrote:
Nonoba is good. Its kinda gay tho... and what was it... uh,....
well it was used for colony... made by.. jigmin. http://jiggmin.com/
I cant seem to find it... but nonoba looks fine.
Thanks! It has some developer tools I might be able to use...

Noobface wrote:
Do not make one like RobotRage's fences and non-fences. Everyone can battle everyone, right? If it is that way, you might as well not even try.
Nope. This is just an annoying and unnecessary feature that they added into the game. It is meant to facilitate the process of connecting to other players in the game, but limits the number of players you can play with. To understand this, I must explain how the Server-Client and Peer-to-Peer (P2P) systems work...

Robot Rage... REARMED?  200px-Server-based-network.svgRobot Rage... REARMED?  200px-P2P-network.svg

The traditional system used most of the time is the Client-Server model on the left. The "clients" are the computers that are connected to a central provider, called a "server". The clients does not host the resources of the network, but rather makes "requests" from the server, to get information or to perform a function. In order for one client to communicate with the rest of the clients, it must first send information to the server, which will then send it to the other clients. This is what you would call a centralized network structure, since the system comes down to the centralized server.

The other kind of system is the Peer-to-Peer model on the right. In this system, the "peers" act both as servers and clients. Workload and resources are equally partitioned and distributed between all the peers connected to the network. Computers acting as peers make a portion of their resources (such as processing power, disk storage, or network bandwidth) directly available to other peers, without need for a central server to coordinate. Peers are both suppliers and consumers of network resources, in contrast to the Client-Server model where only servers supply and clients consume. This is a decentralized network structure.

Both systems have their advantages and disadvantages. The Peer-to-Peer model can be more robust because it enables peers to find data and perform tasks without relying on a centralized server. Therefore, the system would not collapse if that server were to fail. Since each peer itself provides resources to the network, as more peers arrive the total capacity of the system would also increase. In the Client-Server model, as more clients join the system, less resources are available to serve each client.

The Client-Server model also has advantages. It has greater ease of maintenance due to its architecture. It is possible to replace, repair, upgrade, or even relocate a server while its clients remain unaffected by that change. In addition, all data is stored on the servers, which have far greater security than most clients. Servers can better control access and resources, to guarantee that only those clients with the appropriate permissions can access and change data. Since the storage of data is centralized, that data is far easier to administer, since applying updates to each peer in the network takes a lot of time and may cause errors.

In Robot Rage, people with direct connection (without an intervening router) to the internet are automatically assigned the position of Fences, taking the role of servers. The rest are assigned the position of Walls, taking the role of clients. This is why Robot Rage shows the Loading (#) Client/Server screen on the top left corner of the screen whenever you challenge someone. Depending on your assigned role, you will either see "Server" or "Client" on that window. One player in battle must be acting as the client and the other one must be acting as the server in order to handle the battle properly.

The problem is that Robot Rage did not give us the option to choose whether to become a server (Fences) or a client (Walls). Instead, it automatically assigns us a role depending on our internet connection. Since many more people use routers in addition to the modem than not, there are significantly more Walls than Fences. This feature unnecessarily limits the number of people you can play with. You should be able to choose whether to act as a server or a client, and switch between them if you want to. This is also why both players can lag a lot in battle if one of the players is acting as a server and has a very slow connection/computer.

The other manner this can be done so that everyone can see each other at the same time is establishing a Client-Server system, since all the clients are connected to the server and may thus communicate with each other.
Back to top Go down
Noobface
Noobface

PostSubject: Re: Robot Rage... REARMED?    Robot Rage... REARMED?  EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 2:25 pm

You're crazy if you think I am going to read that!
lol!
Can you put it in a simpler way?
Back to top Go down
Carl
Beginner
Beginner
Carl

PostSubject: Re: Robot Rage... REARMED?    Robot Rage... REARMED?  EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 3:04 pm

Noobface wrote:
You're crazy if you think I am going to read that!
lol!
Can you put it in a simpler way?

I'll try. Rolling Eyes Basically in P2P (the system Robot Rage uses) one player acts as the "client" and the other one as a "server" during battle. Walls are assigned the role of clients, and Fences are assigned the role of servers. In Robot Rage, people connected to the internet through a router (the great majority) are Walls and the rest are Fences. The problem with this is that players can't choose to switch between them if they want to. The game should have the option to do this, so you can play with more people.
Back to top Go down
Root
Noobface
Noobface

PostSubject: Re: Robot Rage... REARMED?    Robot Rage... REARMED?  EmptyThu Dec 30, 2010 3:40 pm

Well Carl congrats on making a game. I hope you have luck finding a server or have the time to program a multiplayer mode. This should help with ads and marketing: Mochi Ads

If there is anything I can do to help I will be happy to. I'm glad you got to work on this. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Robot Rage... REARMED?    Robot Rage... REARMED?  Empty

Back to top Go down

Robot Rage... REARMED?
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next